Thursday, August 18, 2011

Remembering My Mom - Clema Christine (Swerdan) Wallace




 Over the last few weeks, I've been thinking about writing a post about the benefits and drawbacks of nostalgia. Is it helpful or harmful to think about the past? The short version, is that I believe that looking back is helpful - we better understand where we came from and how to move forward. However, it can be harmful if all we do is dwell on the past, and fail to look into the future to create and innovate (I tend to do that...).

Anyway, today is the 11th anniversary of my mom's passing, and I thought it was appropriate to remember her. She was such an amazing influence on my life. She taught me how to do the dishes and clean the bathrooms (and leave down the seat!), but she also taught me how to love people and love God.

I was 21 years old when she passed away, and Emily was only about 8 months. I often think about how she would have felt about our boys and that I was just really beginning to have one of those adult-friend relationships that you have with your parents as you grow older.

I'm thankful for the time that we had, and I'm thankful that she was such a good mom - like resigning from her job my senior year of high school so that she could be a "band booster" and come to my field trips and stuff. I often miss her when I'm stressed, and think about how nice it is to have the unquestioning love and support of a mom. If your mother is still alive, don't take her for granted, and be sure to tell her how much you love her!

Love you and miss you, Mom.
-ted



My mom and her dad, Stephen Theodore Swerdan.
Me and my mom around 1979
Mom, Dad and me around 1984
Mom, me and Charity - 1987

2 comments:

  1. Great tribute. Like Paul writing to Timothy and remembering his mother and grandmother and how they impacted Timothy's life and, ultimately, the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have known her better. I know she would be immensely proud of you, Ted. And would love cooking with Emily. And laugh at our crazy boys. :)

    ReplyDelete